Individual Taxpayer Identification Number (ITIN)


What is an ITIN number?

An ITIN number is a number issued by the Internal Revenue Service (IRS). If you are required to file a federal tax return and you don't have a social security number, you'll need to have an ITIN number. ITIN is a nine digit number and always begins with the number 9 and has a 7 or 8 in the fourth digit, such as 9XX-7X-XXXX.

How do I get an ITIN?

A special IRS form must be completed and submitted to the IRS.

What is the difference between EIN and ITIN?

An EIN is an Employer Identification Number and is a number issued by the IRS to legal business entities organized in the US.

If you have a social security number or ITIN number it is easy to get an EIN Number. An ITIN number is an Individual Taxpayer Identification Number (ITIN).

ITINs are issued by the IRS as well. If you do NOT have a social security number and you need to file a federal tax return, you'll need to acquire an ITIN number.

ITIN numbers are for any individual that does not qualify for a social security number.

Who qualifies for ITIN?

To qualify for an ITIN number, you must fall into one of the following categories:

  • Non-resident alien who is required to file a US tax return
  • Non-resident alien who needs to acquire an EIN for their US business
  • US resident alien who is (based on days present in the US) filing a US tax return
  • Dependent or spouse of a US citizen/resident alien

How long does it take to get an ITIN number?

It takes approximately 7 to 12 weeks from the date we submit your W-7 form until you are notified by the IRS.

What documents are needed to apply for an ITIN?

  • Passport (stand-alone document) *
  • National identification card (must show photo, name, current address, date of birth, and expiration date)
  • U.S. driver's license
  • Civil birth certificate (required for dependents under 18 years of age)
  • Foreign driver's license
  • U.S. state identification card
  • Foreign voter's registration card
  • U.S. military identification card
  • Foreign military identification card
  • Visa
  • U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) photo identification
  • Medical records (dependents only - under 6)
  • School records (dependents only - under 14, under 18 if a student)

*A passport is the only document that proves both identity and foreign status. For dependents, the passport must have a date of entry to be a stand-alone document, unless the dependent is from Canada, Mexico, or Military Overseas. If a passport is submitted, a combination of two or more documents must be submitted to meet the document requirements.

Does an ITIN number expire?

Yes, ITINs expire if they are not used to file a federal tax return at least once during a three (3) year period.

Can Delaware Business Incorporators, Inc. assist us in getting an ITIN?

Yes. DBI offers an ITIN form for download. Here are some IRS links that may be helpful to you:

The IRS now requires that all requests for an EIN require either a social security number or an Individual Taxpayer Identification Number (ITIN). Please allow 7 to 12 weeks to obtain your ITIN number from the IRS.  


We hope that this page has been helpful to you. If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to call us at 1-800-423-2993 or 302-996-5819.

Thank you for your interest in the Individual Employer Identification Number (W-7) form.


employer identification number (ein)

Included in all incorporating services:

  • Company Name Check Verification & Availability
  • Preparation & Filing of Articles of Formation
  • Same Business Day Processing
  • Registered Agent (1st Year FREE)
  • Email Reminders & Alerts
  • Lifetime Customer Support

Start Your Business Today for Only $50.00 Plus State Filing Fees.