PROCESSING FEE: $150
(PLUS TEXAS STATE FEES)
In this section we'll explain the requirements, where to file, and fees regarding a Texas foreign qualification.
If you've incorporated your company in any state other than Texas (state motto: FRIENDSHIP) and you wish to "conduct business" in Texas, you'll need to "foreign qualify" your company.
If you're "doing business" in Texas and your company is NOT registered/qualified, you risk having to pay back taxes and penalties to the State of Texas. In some circumstances, a non-Texas company may be engaged in limited activities. It's important to register as soon as possible to: 1) avoid legal action by the Texas attorney general, 2) be permitted to file any legal proceedings in a court in Texas and 3) avoid civil penalties in an amount equal to all taxes and fees that would have been paid when first required. Penalties occur if you have not registered within 90 days of when you first started doing business in Texas.
The form that needs to be completed and filed for LLCs is called the "Application for Registration of a Foreign Limited Liability Company". Texas has different forms for different entity types. The State of Texas requires the following pieces of information:
- Name of company
- Assume name if company name is not available in Texas (if applicable)
- Federal employer identification number (aka EIN)
- State (or country) of Incorporation
- Date of formation in state of incorporation
- Period of duration in state of incorporation -- either perpetual or a stated end date
- Street address of principal office in the State of Texas
- A designated commercial registered agent for service of process (can be either a corporation or natural person)
- Street address of agent for service of process (PO Box is NOT acceptable)
- Nature of business / type of services or products offered
- Date began doing business in State of Texas
- The name and address of each governing person
- Signature of the authorized person
Where to file
The completed form can be filed by mail or in person:
Texas Secretary of State
P.O. Box 13697
Austin, Texas 78711-3697
Texas Secretary of State
James Earl Rudder Office Building
Austin, Texas 78701
State of Texas Secretary of State phone is (512) 463-5555. There fax number is (512) 463-5709. There website is https://www.sos.state.tx.us/corp/index.shtmls
Fees & Costs
The State of Texas has a filing fee of $750. The non-profit filing fee is $25. To expedite your filing, Texas charges an expedited fee of $25.
We hope you found this page beneficial regarding an out of state LLC or corporation doing business in the State of Texas. For a small processing fee plus state fees, you can have one of our expert Incorporation Specialists "foreign qualify" your company in Texas. If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to call us at 1-800-423-2993 or 302-996-5819. Thank you for your interest in Texas foreign qualification for your company.