Delaware LLC Name Search
Delaware LLC Name Conventions
- When registering a Delaware LLC, you will be coming up with a company name that combines the title of your company with an ending suffix.
- Let's use this company as an example: "DBI Global, LLC". It has the suffix of "LLC" which is a short for Limited Liability Company.
- An LLC is a different type of entity than a Corporation or a limited partnership (LP).
- You are required to use a suffix at the end of your Delaware company name. Delaware law requires a suffix for your Delaware LLC.
The following suffixes are available for use by LLC's in Delaware:
- LLC (most popular)
- Limited Liability Company
Bank or Trust in Your Company Name
- You cannot use the words "Bank" or "Trust" in the name of your Delaware LLC without prior written approval of the Delaware State Banking Commissioner.
University or College in Your Company Name
- You cannot use the words "University" or "College" without the prior written approval of the Delaware State Education Commissioner.
- Most other states have similar laws.
- If you are interested in registering a name that may be similar to the name of a company that already exists in Delaware (or your home state) you may make the name unique by adding a distinguishing word.
- In Delaware the distinguishing word may be added to the beginning or the end of the name.
- Example: John Smith owns a street sweeper manufacturing plant in Florida. He is interested in registering his company in Delaware…His first choice, "Smith Sweepers, Inc." is already registered in Delaware by another company. John can add words to the title part, "Smith Sweepers", to make his company name unique. For example, he may be able to register his company as "Smith Street Sweepers, Inc." or "Smith Sweepers of Florida, Inc."
- Changing the suffix will not make a name available if it is already taken. For example, if there is already a company registered as "Smith Sweepers, Ltd." John will not be able to register the company as "Smith Sweepers, Inc."
- The office of the Delaware Secretary of State maintains records of the names of all Corporations, LLCs and other entities which have been reserved or registered as a domestic or foreign entity under the laws of Delaware.
- The name you select must be checked against these records to be certain that it is distinguishable from them.
- DBI will check your name availability in Delaware or other states for free.
- The Secretary of State of Delaware now charges $75 for a name reservation which is valid for 120 days.
- If the desired name is available, DBI can place the name reservation for you through our direct connection to the Delaware Corporations Information System.
- Caution: If you reserve a company name yourself on the state's website it will cause DBI to be UNABLE to register your Corporation or LLC through our direct connection to the state information system. If you file the name reservation yourself DBI will be UNABLE to offer 1-3 business day service. Processing time will take approximately 3 weeks unless you pay an additional fee for expedited service.
- This issue can be avoided by one of two methods:
- We can file the name reservation for you through our direct computer connection to the state information system. We are a registered user with the State of Delaware #9073477.
- You can save expense and hassle by simply allowing DBI to register your new company instead of making a name reservation. This way your company name will be protected from use by others but you will not have to pay an additional $75.
- DBI can act in the capacity of Incorporator or Organizer and hold your company in an unused state until you are ready to name your officers or start your business activities. When you are ready to begin using the company, DBI's duties as Incorporator or Organizer will end and DBI will issue the resolution naming your Initial Director or Initial Member.
Delaware Corporation Name Search
- Delaware corporation name searches use the same database as for the Delaware LLC name search.
- It is free to check a Delaware corporation name with the State of Delaware.
- If you want to reserve a name, Delaware charges $75. The name reservation is good for 120 days.
Included in all incorporating services:
- Company Name Check Verification & Availability
- Preparation & Filing of Articles of Formation
- Same Business Day Processing
- Registered Agent (1st Year FREE)
- Email Reminders & Alerts
- Lifetime Customer Support
Start Your Business Today for Only $50.00 Plus State Filing Fees.